Monday, May 25, 2009

Treasure Bag Tutorial

This is a tutorial for a small gift bag. I've been making them for my family to hold chocolates and small gifts for the various holidays. I like to use theme fabrics when making them for the different holidays, hearts for Valentine's, shamrocks for St. Pat's, bunnies for Easter, etc. The finished size is about 4 1/2" tall x 3" wide. This is my first attempt at a tutorial. I would appreciate comments that would help my tutorial writing skills improve. So here goes:

Materials needed:
  1. 2-5"x6" pieces of fabric for the sides
  2. 1-3 1/2" circle of fabric for the bottom
  3. 7/8-1yd 1/8" ribbon or cord for the drawstring
Add Image
Due to the small size of the bag the casings get pressed before sewing the side seams.
Press down 1/4", then 1" from that fold. Unfold and sew the side seams (1/4" seam allowance), leaving a 1/4" opening 1 7/8" down from the top edge. (See above picture).Press the seams open.

Add ImageI usually stay stitch just a bit less than the seam allowance on the bottom edge. This will allow you to clip to the stitching to help it lie flat when sewing to the bottom.

Now fold down the casing, 1/4" and then 1", edge stitch from the bottom fold and stitch again 1/4" away from the edge stitching. Make sure the side seams are flat or you will not be able to get the drawstring threaded through.

Next pin and sew the bottom to the sides,1/4" seam allowance. I divide the bottom and sides by quarters, match these up, pin on these marks and then sew. You may need to clip the bottom edge of the sides to make it fit and lie flat enough to sew. Just be sure not to clip through the stay stitching.

Turn the bag right side out. Cut the ribbon or cord in half and thread it through the casing as follows: start on one side and completely go around and come out where you started, then start on the opposite side and completely go around and come out where you started. Knot the ends together. TIP: Because the casing is so narrow I use a large blunt needle to thread the ribbon through. Thread the ribbon into the eye of the needle and push through the the casing with the eye end of the needle.


Your bag is now ready to be filled with treasures for that special someone.

10 comments:

Amanda W said...

Added to my to do list - looks pretty easy to make, and great idea to use up the scrap material offcuts.

Super Fun Mama said...

I'm brand new to sewing so I don't know what casings are. It would be great for sewing newbies to know what casings are. Thank you!

Jeanie said...

Your treasure bags are so sweet !
Would be great if tutorials are in pdf format ;)

Bettina Groh said...

Your little gift bags are cute... but this old pair of eyes had problems reading the hand written stuff on the side ( in the tutorial).

jannza said...

I thought your "requirement" was a good one. A comment about blogging....

I look for tutorials. I have loved sewing for a long time so my "stash" is abundant. However, as a SAHM and homeschooler, I don't feel like I have the $$ to attend many classes or the time to do so! (time!) The tutorials are so helpful for me.

I read through this tutorial and wanted to let you know that I like the step by step pictures. Everything is very clear. I appreciate your comments directly on the pics too.

I'm more likely to make things that I learn about on blogs, my family benefits and my dd9 is learning along with me so it goes into the next generation! Yippee!

Linda said...

Love the cood treasure bag. Good idea for those left over fat quarters

Threads of Inspiration said...

I really like tutorials and I think yours was really understandable. The photo was helpful and using a high contrasting sewing thread made it easy to follow. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have made several EFA dolls since the one I posted. I made some changes to the pattern which made it much easier to sew. If you'd like to know what I did, just convo me. Also I'll be putting up two on my etsy site. Susan

Suburban Correspondent said...

Pretty! Thank you!

Lusithane Degard said...

This is such a beautiful bag! I really like the way it loos and will definately do it!

♥ Modarta ♥ said...

Your treasure bags are so sweet !